When a train is canceled or delayed due to an accident, we will handle the situation according to the conditions and content stipulated in transport business regulations that is in JR’s transportation contract and are not responsible for anything outside of this. The main responsibilities that are stipulated by transportation business regulations are as follows:
Before a ticket is purchased
We will suspend all ticket sales for the sections that cannot be reached and for trains that pass through. Also, if we are able to coordinate other methods of transportation such as with buses or there is another train route, you can buy Tickets as if the sections have opened up.
When a ticket has already been purchased
The full fare and charges will be refunded when a ride is canceled. The fare for the rest of the journey will be refunded when canceled in the middle of a ride. In this case, the full price for limited express and express charges of the cancelled trains will be refunded.
- When a limited express train is canceled half way before its destination is reached, another limited express or an express train is used to continue the ride (express trains are only continued with express trains). The full price of limited express and express charges is refunded when limited express and express trains are canceled. However, only the difference from limited express and express trains is returned for cancelations in Shinagawa to Tokyo (including Tokaido Shinkansen) and the Tohoku, Joetsu, and Hokuriku Shinkansens of Omiya to Ueno / Tokyo, or between Ueno and Tokyo. A full refund of sleeper cars is only received if they are unable to be used for part or the entire section at any time between the beginning of its use and 6:00 a.m.
- In addition, return to the station of departure will be provided free of charge. Excluding situations where stopovers are made, a full refund will be received for fares and charges.
- Commuter and multi-ride tickets will have their validity extended or a refund will be received as long as the condition continues for more than five days in normal circumstances.
- Discounted ticket refunds are handled differently depending on the ticket, so please ask an attendant for more details.
- The full price of limited express and express charges is refunded if a limited express or express train is more than two hours late of the scheduled arrival time.
- If a train is more than two hours late for the promised arrival time because the transfer train was not connected due to a late train, the situation is handled the same as when a trip is canceled halfway or a train is returned to the station of departure.
- As refunds are handled differently depending on the ticket for discounted limited express and express tickets, please ask an attendant for more details.